Painted Front Door ...

SO much better than this. Yikes:

The scratches on the bottom right were courtesy of Callie. Mike and I thought it was *SO CUTE* the first time she scratched on the door to make us let her in. Five years worth of scratches? Not so cute.


  • 60 Grit Sandpaper
  • 80 Grit Sandpaper
  • Wire Brush
  • Putty Knife
  • DAP Plastic Wood
  • Plastic Tarps
  • Painter's Tape
  • Purdy 2" Angle Sash Brush
  • 4" Mini Roller
  • 4" Foam Mini Rollers
  • 2" Mini Roller
  • 2" Fabric Rollers
  • Mini Paint Trays & Liners
  • Zinnser "Bulls Eye" Primer (Less than 1/2 Quart)
  • Door: Sherwin Williams Resilience, Exterior, Satin (Less than 1/2 Quart)
  • Door Frame: Sherwin Williams Superpaint, Exterior, Satin, Super White (Barely made a dent in a 1 Gallon can)

Sorry, I slopped paint over the label and can't tell the name of the black door color! It's a very dark brown/black.

Day One:

I picked a day when rain was not expected for a week or so. Sanded everything down with 60 & 80 grit sandpapers. Used the wire brush on any loose paint.

Holes and uneven areas were patched with Plastic Wood and a putty knife. After it was dry, putty was sanded down with 80 grit sandpaper.

Outside of door and door frame were painted with Zinnser primer. This paint is made to stick to everything. Very thick. Had to work quickly! I used the 2" fabric rollers on the door frame and flat areas of the door. Door insets were painted with a 2" angled sash brush. I let it dry for a couple of hours.

I kept the door open, put a plastic tarp down on the porch and taped another plastic tarp over the inside  the door frame (inside the house). Painted two coats of Super White on the frame. Two hours dry time between coats and after the final coat.

Day 2:

I did not remove the door or the locks.

I don't have a storm door so a plastic tarp was taped to the outside of the door frame. Heavy boxes were used to tent the tarp since the wind kept blowing the tarp into the house!

Three coats of Resilience to the outside of the door. With every coat, I started with an angle brush for the insets and used a 4" foam roller for the rest. Two hours dry time between coats and after the final coat.

Day 3:

This was the day I spent with rags and rubbing alcohol, trying to get rid of errant paint. A fitting punishment for not taking the time to put painter's tape everywhere it needed to be!

I am very happy with the results and would do it again in a heartbeat! Next time, I plan to remove the door hardware and will remember to use painter's tape :-).

No comments